A great organization- ask us how you can help.
About the Sumatran Orangutan Society (SOS)
The Sumatran Orangutan Society is dedicated to the conservation of Sumatran orangutans and their forest home. Our international branches raise awareness of the threats facing wild orangutans, and raise funds to support grassroots conservation projects in Sumatra. Together with a team of committed Indonesian conservationists, we work with local communities living alongside orangutan habitat. We visit schools, plant trees and provide training to help the local people work towards a more sustainable future for their forests.
We aim to:
1. Conserve the endemic Sumatran orangutan (Pongo abelii) and its rainforest habitat.
2. Promote public awareness of threats to, and conservation strategies for, the Sumatran orangutan, through community education and global communication.
3. Support the operation of our grassroots field conservation projects and sustainable community development initiatives through the Orangutan Information Center (OIC) in Sumatra.
4. Collaborate with other international and local NGOs and businesses working towards parallel goals.
5. Fundraise to support SOS''s aims and projects.
- To seek sustainable solutions for the preservation of forest habitat;
- To assist local government in the protection and maintenance of protected areas;
- To promote orangutans as ambassadors for the rainforest ecosystem;
- To support the establishment of community education and empowerment programmes in Sumatra.